Saturday, September 19, 2015

Common Courtesy and Customer Service

"As we are, so we do; and as we do, so is it done to us; we are the builders of our fortunes.”  - Ralph Waldo Emerson

We are in the middle of renovating our master bathroom. It is laughable to call it a master bathroom because of the small size in comparison to so many I see on HGTV, but it is our master bathroom non the less.


If you have ever had the pleasure of home ownership, I feel certain you too have made a trip or two to one of the "Big Box" home improvement stores in your town. We are fortunate enough to have two of the largest such establishments very close to our house, and directly across the street from each other. Not only does this make price comparison easier, but normally if you can not find what you are looking for at the blue store, you can at the orange store.

Today one of our goals was to locate a pedestal sink we like, and that will fit in the limited space we have. We first ventured into the big orange store. As we made our way down the isle to the section with all the bright shiny lights, mirrors, bathroom fixtures and sinks we found the display of pedestal sinks we were looking for. We were very disappointed when all we could find were sinks that were too large for our project. So we decided to head across the street to the blue store. On our way, we remembered the air filters we have been forgetting to pick up for about three weeks, so we decided to get them while in the orange store so we did not forget them once again. 

As we are walking down the main back isle, I see a person headed my way in a bright orange apron, a sure sign of a knowledgeable, helpful employee. As I approach her, I say "Excuse me, could you please tell me where I could find the air conditioner filters?"  I was shocked by the expression she gave me first of all. Not only did I get an eye roll, but also a huge shoulder shrug. "I don't know" was the reply that I received, and then she walked off. Really? I think to myself. Is this the way you were trained to treat customers? As I turn around I see an elderly gentleman in the same sort of apron. "Excuse me sir, would you be able to tell me where the air conditioner filters may be?" "Right this way ma'am". He walked me to the isle and explained the difference between "good, better, best" color labels and I thanked him.  What a huge difference in attitude between these two employees.

I have been thinking about this as it relates to my job. I have many different responsibilities where I work, purchasing, accounts payable and customer service. I have to admit, there are days when I feel very much like the first employee in the orange apron. I get aggravated with customers that seem to ask me ridiculous questions, make unreasonable requests, and are flat out rude for no reason at all. However, I like to think most of the time I am friendly, patient and helpful.

Most of the time is not good enough. I need to be friendly, patient, and helpful at all times, and not just in my work environment. What about the times I am in the grocery store, and I get peeved about the cashier and their questions about my purchase. "Looks like you are baking something, what is it?", or "I have never tried that item before, is it any good?". Or when I am driving and someone follows too closely, or wants to cut in front of me, or is driving too slowly in front of me. Am I courteous to these people? Considerate of their feelings?

No, MOST OF THE TIME is not good enough, I need to friendly, patient and helpful at all times. That is what I am called to do, what all of us are called to do.


"Summing up: Be agreeable, be sympathetic, be loving, be compassionate, be humble. That goes for all of you, no exceptions. No retaliation. No sharp-tongued sarcasm. Instead, bless—that’s your job, to bless. You’ll be a blessing and also get a blessing."                                                               - 1 Peter 3:8-9 MSG









No comments: